Wednesday, 26 February 2014
The Unloved Collection
With most products you go out and buy, after using them you're happy and glad you bought them, but there are always some products that you think 'damn, what made me buy that' or 'this really doesn't work' and they leave you both disappointed and out of pocket. Being a predominant beauty blogger, this happens to me a lot, more than I'd like, which is why moving forward I'm not going to buy things just because everyone in the beautyworld is talking about them.
Anywho, I thought I would share with you some of the products I bought, either because they were hyped up in the blogging community, or just because I thought they looked and sounded good in the shop but then since using them I've been left feeling a little 'oh..'
Superdrug's Vitamin E Day Cream
I bought the Superdrug Vitamin E day cream after buying their night cream of the same line and loving it. Unfortunately the same cannot be said for the day cream, it has a texture similar to sudocrem, which really isn't nice applying to your face before primer and makeup. In terms of moisturising my face this didn't do it for me, it was thick and would sit on my skin, so when I got round to putting makeup on everything just sort of sat on my skin, which of course didn't look good at all. I tried using it at night when my night cream had run out to see if it was better as a night cream, but I'm pretty convinced most of it rubbed off onto my bedding and didn't actually soak into my skin - not good!
Garnier Pure Active Face Wash
At first try, this product seemed to really work, it cleaned my skin and left it feeling fresh and spot free. The more I used it the drier my face became, and after each use my skin was left tighter and drier. Being someone with dry skin, it's really important for me to get products that clear my skin, but not by stripping it entirely of its natural moisture. I really like Garnier as a skincare brand, they were the only brand I used before nspa came along, so I thought this product would be okay, but unfortunately not. It may be great for someone with oily skin as works really well at removing excess oil and it clears spots quickly.
Salle Hansen Insta-Dry Topcoat
Weirdly enough I've recently seen people raving about this top coat in either favourites or just standard posts, I really want to like this because I do like Sally Hansen's other nail products, but this just doesn't do it for me at all. I found my nails chipped after a couple of hours, even quicker than wearing them without this topcoat. Whenever I wore this I always got little air bubbles underneath, even though my polish underneath this was 100% dry, when I put this on air bubbles would appear and it would bug the hell out of me. Nail polish, for me, has to look the best it can be, one little scratch and I will repaint the nail.
Maybelline Baby Skin
This is definitely a blogger inspired purchase, I saw this product in blog post after blog post and being someone who had never tried primers I thought this would be a good one to try to get me into wearing primers as a whole. On the most part it did that, I now appreciate primers and think they're a good step in applying my makeup, but I just don't like this on in particular. It left my dry skin slimy and feeling oily, and during the course of the day my makeup would disappear in areas where usually it's very dry and stays all day.
Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer
Again, another product which is 100% blogger inspired. Everybody seems to love this concealer! I bought it in shade 3 and the colour was great, but the formula of it is far too thick and cakey for me. It clung to my dry patches, and it was just too heavy. I like my makeup to feel light and barely there, but with this I found myself itching to take it off an hour after I'd put it on. I also felt it enhanced and made any spots or scars that I was trying to cover up more noticeable..
Avon Quick Dry Spray
When it comes to my nails it's always sod's law that I paint them, and then I'll have to do something and they'll get ruined. When the instant dry sprays came out I was immediately intrigued. I bought this from Avon for I think about £4-£5, so not too expensive - thankfully. This leaves a horrible slimy lotion on your fingers and anywhere it gets sprayed, I tried washing it off but its no good. Your hands are shiny and slimy and they don't dry for ages after. The spray dried the top coat of my nail polish fine, but if you smudged or touched the nail the entire nails polish would slide around and look awful.
Have you tried any of these products and felt the same? Or totally different? Let me know! xx
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I'm the same with this concealer too! It didn't really work for me and I actually had a bad reaction to it and came out in a rash! And my skin's really not that sensitive! Haha! Hope you find some products which you get on better with! x
ReplyDeleteLipstickloveheart.blogspot.com
Ah thankfully someone who agrees haha! I have heard SO many good things and people raving about it but it really didn't work for me! That sounds awful, what do you use now? Thanks very much! I'm still on the hunt for a new foundation and concealer :)
DeleteThanks for commenting girly xx
I know everyone loves it! I use a mixture really, my favourite was just a maybelline coverstick but then they changed it, so I've been searching for a perfect one ever since! The maybelline fit me concealer is quite good though! x
DeleteI have mixed skin with an oily T-zone and The Garnier Pure Active Face Wash worked pretty fine for me. You have to look closely that it is for oily skin that tends to have imperfections. I always choose products that match my skin type so that there would be a higher chance for it to work well :)
ReplyDeleteI'm glad it works for you :) other products I've used from Garnier say for oily combination skin too but work perfectly. I have dry patches, but I also get a lot of spots so thought this would work well. I'm currently in the process of typing up a blog sale, and the face wash features in that. As do most of these products! Thanks for commenting x
DeleteI hated the Collection concealer too! its awful, I don't see the hype at all! Will defiantly be avoiding the baby skin, glad I didn't pick it up xx
ReplyDeletehttp://beckysbeautyfix.blogspot.co.uk/
It really is! It's way too thick, and sticks and highlights even more the things I'm trying to cover up! :) Gr. Oo sounds good, if you're looking for a primer I'd recommend MUA :) I bought two of their primers recently just to compare them and they're both brilliant :)
DeleteThanks for commenting xx